Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hyperconnectivity and Millenials


I’m deleting the history of my Facebook page.
I’m keeping 3 months or so, but as soon as anything gets older than that, I’m either locking down the view to ‘me only’ (and yes, I realise that it’s definitely not me only, but at least it’s a smaller view-access) or deleting it altogether.
I’m not against Facebook though, and I don’t think I need to totally run away from it (probably a good thing, given I work on social media project for a large proportion of my living).
So when I read the new Pew Internet study on hyperconnectivity of Millenials in my RSS feed a few days ago, I was comforted by the fact that I’m not alone. Pew Internet study online behaviours of Americans through surveys and some qualitative research and more longitudinal studies. Yes, America is not Australia, but their work is still interesting, and thorough and definitely not that the pop-survey end of the spectrum that a lot of infographics are based on these days. Give them a go.
Anyway, the most recent study, published in February of this year presents attitudes and experiences of Millenials toward the notion of hyperconnectivity in today’s modern world. Overall, the jury is still out about whether hyperconnectivity is a good or bad thing. Even though the survey was an entirely opt-in thing, so respondents are in theory more actively engaged in a hyperconnected pattern of activity, the split was roughly 50-50 benefit and attitude. Nothing really surprising there, but at least I’m not totally out on the fringe with my behaviours, right?
For far more illuminating thoughts than that, and to keep up to date on relevant stats and studies, check out the Pew site.
Originally posted here.