Saturday, February 19, 2011

Things you find on the intertubes

Last night I asked a question on twitter about what the best tool would be to replace my delicious account. I'm one of those people that gets all worried once rhumours start circulating that a service will be ended and so I've been trying to make sure I find a replacement social bookmarking tool for a few days.

At the same time, I'm growing increasingly frustrated with having accounts floating around the internet that mean that I have to remember a string of login details and none of them talk to each other. So at the risk of putting all my eggs in one basket (but I think it's a pretty safe basket), I'm trying out Google Bookmarks. Having used for for all of about half an hour at this point, I'm a little disappointed at the 'social' aspect of the bookmarking, but hopefully I find it easier with time and they also invest some better development in the function.

In the coming months I'm also going to be designing and launching some online learning with a community of adults in Australia and as part of this project I'm really hoping to include as many information sharing tools that are easy to learn and use as possible. Fingers crossed Google Bookmarks makes the cut and I don't have to bombard the learners with yet another login process.

An avid twitterer in my field directed me to this article outlining 9 more alternatives to delicious that I think I will take a look at. Given I'm already using evernote on my phone, and I'd like to combine the note taking, image capturing and bookmarking functions all in one, I'm thinking that and diigo might be a shoe-in. (sidenote: ask Yahoo! Answers what the alternatives to delicious are and you'll get a hilarious result)