Friday, July 2, 2010

NCVER 'No Frills' 2010 Conference

Next week I’ll be in Perth to present at a professional conference. My first one ever. I’m a little nervous. I was selected to present as part of a scholarship from the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER). I never really expected to get the scholarship, but mostly just applied for the experience of going through the process. One of the obligations for awardees is to present at the NCVER ‘No Frills’ annual conference.




My topic is an appreciative inquiry into the e-learning experiences of young professionals. I’ve been interested in the applications of e-learning across different contexts for a few years. Combining that with my interest in the generational differences and needs of Gen-Y as compared to generations already at work seemed like a good thing at the time. I’ll be speaking on my research motivations, methodology and first impressions of results.



I have no idea what this is going to be like as I’ve never even attended an academic conference, only work ones which I imagine have a different flavour. All I know is that I have to come up with something to say for 40 minutes on my honours research topic.



Other people on the program seem to be mostly academics in teaching/researching positions at universities across Australia and New Zealand. Plus a couple of government representatives and international speakers.



NCVER is on twitter, so keep an eye out for updates from them over the next week if you’re interested in how the conference is going. I haven’t heard of any hash-tags for the conference yet.


Hopefully I'll have something exciting and positive to post when I get back.